It’s that time… “What’s for dinner?”. With a large family to feed on a budget, I am always looking for recipes that use inexpensive ingredients and that I can use with other recipes. That is where this comes in.
Wether you are making burritos, burrito bowls, quesadilla’s, tacos, taco casserole, enchiladas or even soup, you can use this for all of it! #PorkCarnitasforlife
You don’t have to limit it to just dinner either, you can use it for breakfast, appetizers, lunch.. the possibilities are endless!
This recipe only uses a few ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge and pantry. But for real though- real ingredients that you don’t have to spend a bunch on that you can find at literally any store!
More recently, I used this for my Keto Burrito Bowls. Which my entire family loves, even the picky eaters because they can add anything they want in it, and leave the “yucky” stuff out! And, best of all, it provides a healthy and affordable meal, which is important to me.
Let’s get started. Now, the choice of pork cut is truly up to you. I used a pork butt which has a little more fat on it which helps it become more juicy and tender, but if you are watching the fat you can always use a pork tenderloin or a leaner cut of choice.
Mouthwatering Pork Recipe:
- 3-4 lb boneless pork roast, excess fat trimmed and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup taco seasoning (or use my recipe for your own below)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Cilantro, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season pork chunks on all sides with taco seasoning so they are well coated.
- Add seasoned pork, orange juice, chicken stock and lime juice to the Instant Pot. Stir gently, and cover.
- Select “Meat” setting, then adjust cooking time to 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes it up, release any remaining pressure and open lid, carefully.
- Drain the pork and set liquid aside.
- Shred the pork, with two forks.
- Place the shredded pork on a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Pour 1/3 to 1/2 of the cooked liquid over pork, sprinkle chopped cilantro on top (if you desire) and Broil for 5-10 minutes to crisp up.
- Serve immediately or store for later use. You can even freeze this!
Homemade Spicy Taco Seasoning Recipe:
- 1/4 cup Chipotle Chile Pepper
- 1/4 cup Ancho Chile Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 3 tablespoons Coriander
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until completed blended together.
- Transfer to air tight container or use immediately.
Note: Seasoning will keep fresh in an air tight container for about 6 months. As long as all the ingredients are fresh.
Use 1 Tablespoon of seasoning per pound of meat for a mild kick, or add more to spice it up!
If you are looking for some toppings for your amazing pork, here is a list of some options you may not have thought of.
Topping ideas: On the healthier side
- Picked red onion, or raw
- Red or green cabbage, raw or sautéed
- Diced radish
- Jicama, sliced into sticks
- Carrots, sliced into sticks
- Avocado chunks
- ANY kind of cheese, especially Cotija crumbled
- Sour cream
- Grilled corn
- Black or green olives, sliced
- Grilled or sautéed zucchini
- Pickled asparagus
- Grilled or sautéed asparugus
- Cauliflower rice, seasoned
- Fried cheese crisps, homemade or store bought
- Cottage cheese
- Pico or Salsa (try different flavors to mix it up) Or make your own!
- Chopped hard boiled eggs
- Pickles, sliced into sticks
- Jicama slaw, try this recipe without the sugar! Jicama slaw
- Sautéed veggies such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms
- Diced celery for crunch
- Diced and sautéed sweet potato, or make a hash
- Diced and cooked butternut squash
Note: The options are literally endless! So try something new.