Nothing screams party like a jello shot and these easy to make Firecracker 4th of July Jello Shots are no exception!
I’ve always had an obsession with firecrackers. I know they aren’t pretty or sparkly; they’re more dangerous and scary, and loud (which could be saying something about my inner firecracker gal).
Maybe it’s the thrill of lighting them and then hoping you can run fast and far enough before they go off, or it’s the loud bang and the smell of smoke. As a kid we used to light whole packs of them at once…awe, c’mon I know I’m not the only one! In high school the boys would go in the orange groves and have a firecracker and smoke bomb wars, while us girls cringed and screamed behind the orange trees caught in the crossfire.
Well, these firecrackers aren’t one bit dangerous…just darn good. Okay so if you have the “grown-up” version they could become dangerous…but it’s worth it! The kids and I had so much fun making these…we think you will too!
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin
- 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- 1 envelope Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 20 maraschino cherries with stems, well drained, patted dry
- ADD 2/3 cup boiling water to berry gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Repeat with cherry gelatin mix. Cool.
- MEANWHILE, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup milk in medium bowl; let stand 5 min. Bring remaining milk to boil in saucepan.
- Remove from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Add to plain gelatin mixture; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 10 min.
- SPOON berry gelatin into 20 (1-oz.) plastic shot glasses sprayed lightly with cooking spray, adding about 2 tsp. to each. Refrigerate 15 min. or until set but not firm.
- TOP with unflavored gelatin mixture, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 10 min. Insert cherry, stem end up, into white gelatin layer in each cup. Refrigerate 2 min.
- COVER with cherry gelatin, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Remove from cups before serving.
- Here’s two fabulous “adult” versions that will REALLY make these firecrackers pop!!
- Adults Only alcoholic Variation: Prepare as directed, reducing the boiling water to 1 cup and dissolving each of the berry and cherry gelatin mixes in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir 1/4 cup vodka into each flavor of gelatin, then continue as directed.
- Spiked Cherries Adults Only Variation: Place cherries in a glass jar. Add 1/2 cup vodka; cover with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate at least 2 hours; drain. Pat dry, then use as directed.
There you have it! An easy and adorable 4th of July jello shot recipe perfect for a summer evening!! ENJOY!